We Play Hard. We Play Fair. 

We Play To Win.

Photo Of Professionals at Restovich Braun & Associates
Photo Of Attorney Tammy L. Shefelbine, Thomas R. Braun, Anna M. Restovich, Michael J. Restovich, Bruce K. Piotrowski, Aurora M. DeCook

When can I get my child support order modified?

On Behalf of | Nov 6, 2018 | Family Law |

If you have been ordered to pay child support, you may wonder if you will always have to pay the same amount. Minnesota courts realize that situations change, so child support orders are not written in stone. You do have the option to have them modified. However, because the court is very busy, you cannot just request a change any time you want.

According to the Minnesota Department of Human Services, there are very specific circumstances which trigger your ability to request a support order modification. First, would be in you have a major income change or if your child’s other parent has one. A major change would be an increase or decrease in income of at least 20 percent. The court will not issue a change in the order unless the amount would change by 20 percent and be a difference of at least $75.

The court may consider changing an order for other reasons as well, but do note that 20 percent/$75 rules will still apply. Other circumstances that may allow for a change include increases or decreases in financial needs of the child, medical expense changes, cost of living changes and educational expense changes. Changes in custody will also be grounds for an order change.

If you request the court to take another look at your child support order and to make adjustments to it for any reason, you have to provide proof of the change that occurred to trigger your request. This information is for education and is not legal advice.